Saturday, September 17, 2011

Do Me A "Favor"


Brrrrr..it is a chilly day here in Chapel Hill..and I LOVE IT.  It is truly reminiscent of a childhood spent growing up in Western New York. My sleepy little hometown is a place where Fall is ushered in by the smell of apples from the orchard, the sounds of the wind whipping through the colorful leaves and the feeling that the only warmth that you might find is in a mug of hot cider...YUM.  Well..since I have grown up I have abandoned the hometown and the hot cider and have replaced it with the comfortable weather of Chapel Hill and my favorite Fall beverage...a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. (which I am sipping right now)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The weather has completely inspired me to share with you my favorite Fall favors. These are not just your average favors.  Gone are the days of candied almonds wrapped in tulle and tied with a bow.  These favors will really impress your guests and trust me...they will be talking about them for a long time.
~~~~~
Favors can be many things.  They can be a little treasure to take away and savor alone or they can be a treat or libation to enjoy together.
~~~~
Here are my "Favor"ites
Seasonal Martinis
You want to do me a favor at an event...serve me one of these. 
Apple Cinnamon Toast Martini
Ingredients
1 1/4 oz Smirnoff Green Apple Twist Vodka
1/2 oz Goldschlager
Dash of Green Apple Jell-O
Sliced Apple on Top
Cinnamon rim
Garnish with Cinnamon stick,Apple Slice
Mix all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into a Chilled Martini Glass rimmed with cinnamon. Garnish.
~~~
Chai Martini
I love anything that is served in a creative way...and aren't these just adorable
2 oz Vanilla Vodka
2 oz Chilled Chai Tea
1 1/2 oz Orange Liqueur
Cinnamon Stick
Combine the Vodka, Tea, and Orange Liqueur in a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously
~~~~~~
Donut Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream
I have been making some version of this recipe for ages. 
Who needs a plain old Krispy Kreme when you can have this?
1 1/2 dozen glazed doughnuts, cut into sixths
1 quart heavy cream
2 cups milk
10 large egg yolks
2 large whole eggs
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup brewed espresso, chilled
Bread Pudding has to be my favorite "to go" favor!

~~~~~~
Chocolate Covered Bacon Caramel Popcorn
Whether you want to serve it tableside or package it in a cute bag to take home...this is just SINFUL and yes the bacon is AMAZING!
~~~~
Gelato
I have eaten gelato in I think about 20 countries and I can assure you that Sugarland on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill has some of the best.  My Fall favorites...Pecan Pie and Mexican Chocolate! Mmmmm. 
It is so much fun to pass these at a party. 
A true crowd pleaser!
Sugarland
Speaking of Sugarland...they host a couple more of my favorites..
~~~~~
Caramel Apples
Oh how I love caramel apples...it's something about the chewiness of the caramel combined with the tart juice of the apple.  I know that as soon as the apple harvest starts in the mountains that Sugarland is going to be dipping these into everything imaginable...from candies, to pretzels, to chocolate and more...
~~~~~~
Cupcakes..Cupcakes..Cupcakes
Barbara Mandrell used to sing a song called "I Was Country...When Country Wasn't Cool"  Well let me tell you I was obsessed with cupcakes before they became the hottest ticket in town. 
Cupcakes are by far the most popular event favor. 
What is being served up for Fall?...Pumpkin Spice Cakes with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Icing
~~~~~
Latte Shooters
What a great way to keep your guests going! They can be served with or without alcohol.
 The flavor combinations are endless.
~~~~~
My Ulimate Favor Pick
French Macaroons
If you have never had a french macaroon you just don't know what you are missing. 
 I once stood in line in for two hours in the freezing cold just so I could have a few from my favorite pastry shop in Paris...Laduree....or as I like to refer to it...heaven on earth.
I didn't realize how crazy I was about these little treasures until I stepped off of the tour bus with a bag of them and tripped.  With my face quickly approaching the ground all I could think was..oh no...my macaroons are going to be crushed.  I did the only thing I could think of. I threw the bag in the air and screamed for my Dad to catch it.  They survived...and I limped back to the hotel room with a sprained knee and enjoyed every single morsel of those goodies.
Miel Bon Bons in the Historic Car Hill Mall in Carrboro, North Carolina carries these dainty French creme filled sandwiches.
In the spirit of Autumn, Miel Bon Bons has just added a
Cinnamon Macaroon with a Hazelnut Praline Creme to its menu.
There is a flavor for everyone!
Package them in boxes or serve them in a champagne glass.
  These are especially adorable for wedding and baby showers.
~~~~~~
Enjoy the Fall season!
All of these items and so many more are available for your events at The Carolina Inn

I think I'll head to Sugarland before the big game for my gelato and a cupake. 
Once the sugar rush kicks in I should be able to properly cheer for UNC!
Go Heels!
Do Me A Favor...Try some of these goodies!




No comments:

Post a Comment